Nominations for 2019 are now open.
Creative Generation – State Schools Onstage (CGEN) provides students, teachers and school communities with the opportunity to be involved in a large-scale, award-winning event. Since its inception, the professionally produced spectacular has grown from 550 students in 2005 to a cast of over 1,500 and is nationally renowned for its outstanding and vibrant display of state school talent.
CGEN provides an opportunity for students to display and extend their talents and affiliations with professional artists beyond those ordinarily available in schools. Auditions, workshops and rehearsals will give students a taste of the performing arts industry that has put many Queenslanders on the international stage.
Opportunities exist for featured and backing vocalists, core, central and massed choir, featured and massed dancers, symphony orchestra, big band, massed string orchestra, drumline, variety acts, instrumental soloists, drama students, stage and media crew.
Nominating for CGEN is an online process. Nominations must be made by a registered Department of Education state school teacher with one teacher from each school allocated as the coordinating teacher during the nomination process.
CGEN nomination guidelines (PDF, 1.6MB) outline the nomination process and specific information about individual categories and their timelines.
To assist with the nomination process, please read the information in the fact sheets and read the list of frequently asked questions (FAQs).
Fact sheet 1 – Role of the coordinating teacher and supervisor (PDF, 56KB)
Fact sheet 2 – Participant responsibilities (PDF, 34KB)
Fact sheet 3 – How to nominate (PDF, 61KB)
FAQs (PDF, 56KB)
Student expression of interest form (PDF, 51KB)
CGEN 2019 project consent form (PDF, 121KB)
Network Ten adult release form (PDF, 117KB)
Network Ten child release form (PDF, 104KB)
A student expression of interest form is also provided to assist with the collection of student nomination details. Students are encouraged to complete the form and provide it to their coordinating teacher.
The school's coordinating teacher must
Nomination deadlines are as follows:
- Friday 8 February 2019 – nominations close for all categories except instrumental. This includes students entering Year 7 or students at a new school in 2019. Audition footage/support material is also required on this date.
- Friday 22 February 2019 – nominations close for instrumental categories. Audition footage is also required on this date.
For further information please contact the
Nomination terms and conditions
In these terms and conditions 'the department' means the State of Queensland acting through the Department of Education.
- Information on how to nominate and participate in Creative Generation - State Schools Onstage including all program guidelines, information books, forms and fact sheets, form part of these Terms and Conditions. Participation in the program will be considered acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- The department (ABN 76 337 613 647) is the owner of the Creative Generation - State Schools Onstage program.
- Once entered, details are not transferable to any other person or organisation or school.
- Late, partially completed or nominations that do not satisfy the nomination requirements or program guidelines at the time of the program entry closing may be judged as ineligible for participation in the program.
- All information submitted must be true and correct as at the time of nomination.
- The decision made by the department to accept a student/school as eligible to proceed to the next stage of the program is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The department accepts no responsibility for inability or failure to submit or nominate by the final date.
- The nominee grants the department the right to use personal information (including student details, photographs and/or video) in accordance with the Project Consent Form.
- By providing material (including student details, photographs and/or video) to the entry portal the nominee warrants they either own the material or have acquired sufficient right to use the material for the purpose of the program and agree to indemnify the department against any loss or damages caused by breach of this warranty.
- Where a nominee is a part of a group or cluster, the person completing the nomination must be an authorised representative of the group and all organisations/schools affiliated with each person.
- Where there is more than one category or stage, each category or stage may have individual eligibility criteria as well as judging criteria.
- Although every effort will be made to ensure project materials (including certificates, prizes and awards) are sent to the address stated on the nomination, the department takes no responsibility for lost or misdirected items not received by students/schools.
- The department will not be responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any network or lines, servers, providers, computer equipment, software, traffic congestion on the Internet, etc. including, but not limited to, any injury or damage to participants or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participation in or downloading any materials in this program.
- The department will not be responsible for any failure by sponsors and partners to fulfil their contractual obligations made between the department and the sponsor.
- If for any reason the program is unable to run as planned including causes beyond the control of the department, the department may at its sole discretion cancel, suspend or modify the program.
- The program may be withdrawn at any time without notice.
- The participant agrees to indemnify the department against any loss or damages caused by a cancellation, suspension, modification or withdrawal of the program.
- These Terms and Conditions may be altered where necessary, and any changes will be notified on the program's website.
- The department reserves the right, at any time, to verify the validity of a nomination, reject a nomination or disqualify a nomination that is not in accordance with these Terms and Conditions.