Key dates for 2021
19 April to 30 August
Submissions open for Creative Generation Excellence Awards in Visual Art
24 April to 8 August
Central exhibition at the Gallery of Modern Art – celebrating 2020’s Excellence Award winners
Creative Generation Excellence Awards in Visual Art judging
6 September to 8 October
Nominations open for
September to October
Regional exhibitions and presentation events
30 November to 2 December
In residence, Brisbane
Early to mid 2022
Central exhibition at the Gallery of Modern Art – celebrating 2021's Excellence Award winners
How to enter
Submissions for the Creative Generation Excellence Awards in Visual Art 2021 have closed.
Submissions for In residence 2021 are now open. For more information on how to enter visit the in residence page.
- All Queensland state and non-state schools offering senior visual art can submit up to 4 students' artworks.
- The visual art head of department and principal of the school where the student is enrolled must endorse the artwork as appropriate and ensure that it is compliant with the eligibility and submission requirements.
- To support the judging process and online gallery, digital images are required for each submission or 1 screen shot for video works.
- The size of the submitted artwork must not exceed 1.8m x 2m x 2m once installed.
- If the artwork has individual components, parts should not exceed 20kg.
- Each submission must be accompanied by a supporting artist statement of no longer than 100 words. The artist statement must be written by the student, be grammatically correct and approved by the teacher submitting the artwork.
- A consent form signed by a parent/guardian must accompany the submission or the artwork cannot be exhibited.
- Any work the department deems to be inappropriate for public viewing will not be accepted, and the program manager will contact the school to discuss any concerns.
- Students must have the permission of the copyright owner of any work that has been reproduced in their artwork before it will be included in exhibitions. If permission has not been obtained, the work cannot be exhibited and the program manager will contact the school to discuss the concerns.
Selection panels will shortlist up to 150 works from the total submissions. From the shortlist, up to 40 excellence winners will be selected, and 1 student from each region will receive a regional encouragement award.